Saturday, April 11, 2009

Purpose

Is there anything more annoying than watching a movie only to find it never comes to a conclusion? We aren’t sure whether the two meant for each other lovers will work it out or someone’s journey leaves more loose ends then it ties together. So frustrating! I’m not saying I hold huge expectations for my movie selections, but at least give me the answer to the question you’ve posed! Maybe others don’t mind this leave you guessing feeling, but it bothers me. I don't want to wait for a sequel; I want to know that all the striving meant something now! Give me a definable ending so that I can feel good about leaving your world and going back to mine.

I wonder this about my life too. Do I live with a clear purpose in mind? Do my actions draw towards anything so that all the striving means something? I’ve felt very liberated and happy since I decided to quit teaching, but where do I go from here? Several career possibilities fill my mind as I decide what path will bring me joy and satisfaction. I know my passions and desires more so than when I entered college so that is a start. But do I end there? Should what brings me fulfillment be the main dictator of my life goals? And for that matter do I even have life goals?

As I reflected on these questions this morning, I came across this passage in 1 Peter.

1 Peter 4:7-11
The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it with the strength that God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Two thoughts lingered in my mind as I read through this. The first, I should have the goal in mind to love and serve others. And the other thought, I must rely on God's strength in whatever I do so to live my life as worship to Him. Both important. Yet neither gives a nice and tidy conclusion to my life. The underlying question still remains: How do I do this? What specifically does this look like in my life? And in the midst of my wonderings, it occurred to me that it doesn’t really matter. I don’t need to know exactly how my life will play out in 2 months, a year, or 5 years from now. Even though I'm admittedly curious as to the adventures God has in store for me, I can’t ignore today. So rather than trying to figure out the end or where this current path is leading, asking God how to love others in this moment can be my definable purpose. I think if I start placing all my energy towards that goal, I probably won't have any left to worry about the future anyways.

No comments: